[CentOS] COBOL

Scott Nelson sbnelson at thermeon.com
Wed May 21 19:26:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 13:47 -0500, Michael wrote:
> Just curious, maybe some old timers could help me out. I am working
> with
> a company that is migrating 20 years of Mainframe Software Development
> to Unix, HPUX. How much harder would it be to go to Linux, Centos
> Linux?

Probably not hard at all -- I can't imagine a cobol compiler/runtime/
executable needing anything in HP/UX that isn't in Centos (or any
other Linux for that matter).  The bigger problem is getting the COBOL
vendor to port to the version of Linux you want, Centos in this case.

> [...] anyone have any experience with Fujitsu Cobol on Centos?

I have not, but we do use AcuCOBOL version 4 from AcuCorp which was
recently bought by MicroFocus (they are up to version 8 now: http://www.microfocus.com/products/extend/
  )

Scott