[CentOS] Strange NTP problem

Alfred von Campe alfred at von-campe.com
Thu May 22 15:21:50 UTC 2008

I'm still having this issue.  Here is another update.  I noticed that
the drift file for the system with the problem contained "0.000".  On
most other systems this contains a positive number (and on two a
negative number).  I deleted the drift file, resynch'ed the time with
"ntpdate <hostname>", restarted the NTP daemon, and waited for the
drift file to be recreated.  It again contained "0.000" and the
output of "ntpq -np looked like this:

        remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay
offset  jitter

======
    10.101.32.104   67.128.71.65     3 u   49   64  377    0.611
1871.40 987.132
   *127.127.1.0     .LOCL.          10 l   48   64  377    0.000
0.000   0.001

I replaced the drift file with the contents of the file before the
upgrade to CentOS, resynch'ed the time, and restarted the NTP
daemon.  But after a little while, the system is "bound" to itself
again.

BTW, the output of the cron job running ntpdate once an hour showed
that the system has a very steady drift of 14.9 seconds every hour.
Does that seem excessive?  NTP should be able to handle this, right?

Alfred