[CentOS] RAID5 or RAID50 for database?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Thu May 22 16:12:46 UTC 2008

Warren Young wrote:
> John R Pierce wrote:
>> raid50 requires 2 or more raid 5 volumes.
>>
>> with 4 disks, thats just not an option.
>>
>> for file storage (including backup files from a database), raid5 is
>> probably fine... for primary database tablespace storage, I'd only use
>> raid1 or raid10.
>
> RAID-10 has only one perfect application, and that's with exactly four
> disks.  It can't use fewer, and the next larger step is 8, where other
> flavors of RAID usually make more sense.  But, for the 4-disk
> configuration, it's unbeatable unless you need capacity more than
> speed and redundancy.  (In that case, you go with RAID-5.)
>
> RAID-10 gives the same redundancy as RAID-50: guaranteed tolerance of
> a single disk lost, and will tolerate a second disk lost at the same
> time if it's in the other half of the RAID.  RAID-10 may also give
> better performance than RAID-50.  I'm not sure because you're trading
> off more spindles against more parity calculation with the RAID-50.
> At any rate, RAID-10 shouldn't be *slower*.

It seems like you know / like RAID-10 a lot :)

So, how does it perform with 6 discs for example? Say I have 3 HDD's in
RAID-0, and another 3 in RAID-0, then RAID-1 the 2 RAID-0 stripes. How
well would that work?
And what would you recommend on 8 / 10 HDD's?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com