[CentOS] Interface bonding?

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Fri May 23 12:23:29 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 6:23 AM, James Pearson
<james-p at moving-picture.com> wrote:
> Mag Gam wrote:
>> Thanks Jim. Since, 802.3ad requires switch settings does it perform better
>> than other modes? Does anyone have any benchmarks?
>
> I haven't done any benchmarks - but as I've managed to get 200+Mbyte/s read
> speeds using mode 6 with a dual link - I can't see it would be any faster
> with 802.3ad

Mode 6 (AFAIR) requires you to connect both cables to the same switch.
802.3ad allows you to get link aggregation while connecting to
different switches, which means you're still up if one of the switches
dies (providing you connect all the hosts to both switches). The
switches themselves need to be interconnected (in 3COM switches, with
a proprietary cable) to be able to span 802.3ad links between
switches, but it's a very useful feature anyway.

Filipe