[CentOS] Opinions about SSH and DNS

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Sun May 25 23:40:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008, Clint Dilks wrote:
>Hi People,
>
>As part of securing SSH we currently have UseDNS set to yes.  But we are
>finding that a number of ISP's are deliberately refusing to configure
>matching forward and reverse DNS records.  So I am wondering how many of
>you are still using this option?

The main utility of using DNS is in conjunction with tcp_wrappers
where one wants to use host/domain names in /etc/hosts.allow.

IHMO, competent ISPs will handle DNS forward and reverse properly.

Unfortunately there are a lot of incompetents who purport to be ISPs.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support
of Paul -- George Bernard Shaw