[CentOS] Re: memorial day kernel panic

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Tue May 27 17:16:48 UTC 2008

> this is a production server, so running an extended memtest not going to
> happen. But I can swap it out and put it in a backup system to do the test.
> It's beginning to look a lot like a RAM issue as I have now seen a couple
> segfaults from programs that have always run fine. Every kernel panic message
> is different (crashed again 1 hour ago). Fans and case temp are nominal
Some Tyan boards are known as being very picky with RAM. If you want to
avoid problems, you should really stick to the types listed in Tyan's
memory compatibility list.
Perhaps the same can be said about any board today. It seems that the
times of "generic" RAM are gone. See Tyan's web site.

I have a Tyan board that several times destroyed a DIMM or two upon
reboot, and only upon reboot.
It did not happen during operation or when doing a hard reboot.