[CentOS] USB modem on centos

John jses27 at gmail.com
Wed May 28 04:20:51 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of Jerry Geis
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 1:43 PM
To: CentOS ML
Subject: [CentOS] USB modem on centos

I am playing with a USR (us robotics) USB modem model 5637.
in the past I used internal modems and had no issues.
One this unit I plugged it in, dmesg says its recogized.
I did "ln -s /dev/ttyACM0 /dev/ttyS4" this works.
I then did "cu -l /dev/ttyS4" type "AT" and I get OK... looking good.

When I "ATDT my number" I get a connection at 1200 baud (which I should) and
funny characters... I thought looks like a parity thing.
I then did "cu -e -l /dev/ttyS4" type "AT" and I get OK...
Now when I do "ATDT my number" I get a connection at 1200 baud and I get
readable characters.

In the past internal PCI modems I never had to do anything special, just the
cu -l /dev/ttyS4.
I thought modem to modem handled all that speed/parity stuff and computer to
modem just always worked given the correct baud rate.

Does anyone know what the issue might be here. The reason I am asking is my
program that talks to the modems (computer to modem) has always been setup
for 8 data no parity and has always worked. When I use my program on the USB
modem it is not working and I assumed from the parity issue above using "cu"
to demonstrate. When I change my program to be 7 data bits and even parity
it still did not work.

Was wondering if anyone had any USB modem experience on centos and might
know what is going on?

Thanks,

Jerry