[CentOS] /etc/sysctl.conf edit not permanent

Joseph L. Casale JCasale at activenetwerx.com
Thu May 29 00:12:44 UTC 2008

>What exactly did you add to /etc/sysctl.conf?
>
>Do you have any errors when you run "sysctl -p" on the command line as root?
>
>Filipe

Hi,
I added the following to /etc/sysctl.conf:
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
sysctl -p does not show any errors.

So after a #service network restart, I see this:
Shutting down interface eth0:  [  OK  ]
Shutting down loopback interface:  [  OK  ]
Disabling IPv4 packet forwarding:  net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
[  OK  ]
Bringing up loopback interface:  [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth0:  [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth1:
Determining IP information for eth1... done.

But a sysctl -p shows the right info after? Is this behavior normal?

Thanks!
jlc