[CentOS] Frequent Gnome Terminal crashes in CentOS 5.1

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu May 29 18:48:20 UTC 2008

Alfred von Campe wrote:
> Ever since I upgraded all my systems to CentOS 5.1 I have been getting
> reports from users about "all their windows disappearing".  A little
> digging revealed that they meant all gnome-terminal windows.  Since
> there is only one gnome-terminal process by default for all your open
> terminal windows and tabs, a crash of that process means losing all your
> terminal windows.  These crashes often (but not always) occur over night
> when the system is otherwise idle.
>
> A quick Google search found a problem on Ubuntu related to VTE (the
> terminal emulator widget used by gnome-terminal) but not much else of
> interest.  Has anyone on this list experienced this?  I find it hard to
> believe I'm the only one.  I never saw this issue while running CentOS
> 4.X on these systems...

How did you upgrade?

I am running CentOS-5 on many workstations that stay on all the time and
  I have never had the gnome-terminal crash.

Is it possible that you have older (possibly orphaned) binaries still
installed from the upgrade process?

If this is from a NEW install, then we need more info to help.