[CentOS] Learning some sad things about the state of IPv6

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri May 30 13:38:44 UTC 2008

Matt Shields wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 6:23 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>
>> Christopher Chan wrote:
>>
>>> The OP is not saying there is no ipv6 netfilter support. He said that
>>> there is no ipv6 state netfilter module or something like that.
>>>
>> In which case either you dont know what the OP is talking about, or he
>> doesnt know what he asked :D
>>

> Exactly!!!  What he's complaining about is the lack of lazy-man's GUI
> tool to configure ip6tables.

Not so much as complaining, but looking at easy-of-use and time allocation.

I have done iptables by hand and have used a few tools. One thing I like
about the tools I have found helpful is they have been good 'quick
starts' for learning what to do by hand!

But my source is:
http://www.guug.de/veranstaltungen/ecai6-2007/slides/2007-ECAI6-Status-IPv6-Firewalling-PeterBieringer-Talk.pdf

Peter, who has been involved with IPv6 for a long time, covers NetFilter
on slide 8 and claims stateful support added in 2.6.20. Elsewhere I
found a reference that RHel would get this end-of-year 2008, and Fedora
Core 6 has it now. I looked in my /boot and saw that Centos is using
2.6.18, and I concluded from all this that I would have to work with FC6
for the next half year. Seems this conclusion is mis-informed if this
NetFilter feature got backported already....
> Are you absolutely sure that FWBuilder doesn't support IPv6?  Because
> here there a release note
> http://www.fwbuilder.org/docs/firewall_builder_release_notes.html
> referring to ip6tables.

I also saw that FWBuilder supports IPv6. But if the kernel only supports
stateless, then that is all you can do with FWBuider, I would think. My
one review of FWBuilder was that it was more than I needed at the time
and Shorewall would handle my needs for my one VoIP firewall. Well I
learned a lot using Shorewall. And Shorewall does NOT have IPv6 support,
I asked on their list.

So now I go and build a box and see if I got enough to get the job done.