[CentOS] Setting Group owner of files on USB drive

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri May 30 20:37:58 UTC 2008

I just got a 8Gb flash drive and went to copy a bunch of files onto it.
I wanted to perserve everything, so I just took my archiving rsync
command and altered it to go to localhost:/media/RALLY2/ (name of flash
drive).  I am getting errors with changing the group owner.  Huh?

So I try to just use mkdir to create a directory on the flash drive.
The directory has a group of root ???

So I try a chgrp and get:

[root at mine me]# chgrp me /media/RALLY2/Stuff
chgrp: changing group of `/media/RALLY2/Stuff': Operation not permitted

OK why can't I set the group to something other than root?

ls -lstr /media/
total 4
4 drwxr-xr-x 3 me root 4096 May 30 16:28 RALLY2

and of course for /media:

 8 drwxr-xr-x   3 root root  4096 May 30 16:18 media