[CentOS] drbd strategy

sbeam

sbeam at onsetcorps.net
Sat May 31 11:40:05 UTC 2008

I have an existing in-production LAMP server running Centos 5.1. It uses
physical partitions on top of hardware RAID1, having / /home /var and /boot
on separate partitions.

We have a near-identical system I am thinking of bringing in as a
DRBD/Heartbeat companion. One solution may be to use csync2
[http://oss.linbit.com/csync2/] on /etc and /usr/local (the only areas that
will differ from the stock CentOS). Then setup DRBD for /home and /var.

From reading the docs it seems we have to use "external meta data" on the
existing partitions. Other than that, anyone have any caveats or better ideas
for this setup?

Also - each has 2 NICs. Can Heartbeat do its pinging over the WAN (eth0) with
eth1 dedicated to DRBD only? Is that how it is supposed to be, or should we
use the serial ports?

Sam