[CentOS] Setting Group owner of files on USB drive

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Sat May 31 13:23:59 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> I am getting errors with changing the group owner.  Huh?
>
> So I try to just use mkdir to create a directory on the flash drive.  The
> directory has a group of root ???
>
> OK why can't I set the group to something other than root?

Because it's FAT.

If what you want is all the files on the same group, you may use mount
options to set that.

For example:

mount -o group=mygroup /dev/sdx1 /mnt/myusb

But if you want commands to change groups or permissions, you should
reformat the filesystem. If you need Windows interoperability, you
might want to try NTFS, I don't know if it works, but if you have the
device, the machines and the time for it, you might as well test it.

HTH,
Filipe