[CentOS] yum problem after last kernel

Thu May 15 19:58:14 UTC 2008
Alex Palenschat <alex at nssmgmt.com>

Hello all, I've been googling and haven't found an answer. I have a
Centos 4.6 box that is having an issue since the last yum update. The
nss_ldap and kernel packages were the only packages installed/updated.
When I try to run yum I now receive:

[root at ns1 ~]# yum update
There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

   /usr/lib/librpmdb-4.3.so: undefined symbol:
xdr___db_get_name_reply[rpmdb

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.3.4 (#1, Dec 11 2007, 05:27:57)
[GCC 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-9)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
the yum faq at:
  http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq

[root at ns1 ~]# rpm -qi rpm-libs
Name        : rpm-libs                     Relocations: (not
relocatable)
Version     : 4.3.3                             Vendor: CentOS
Release     : 23_nonptl                     Build Date: Sat 17 Nov 2007
06:13:56 AM CST
Install Date: Mon 07 Jan 2008 11:57:33 AM CST      Build Host: builder6
Group       : Development/Libraries         Source RPM:
rpm-4.3.3-23_nonptl.src.rpm
Size        : 1739984                          License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Sun 18 Nov 2007 02:55:20 PM CST, Key ID
a53d0bab443e1821
Summary     : Libraries for manipulating RPM packages.
Description :
This package contains the RPM shared libraries.

[root at ns1 ~]# rpm -Vv rpm-libs
........    /usr/lib/librpm-4.3.so
........    /usr/lib/librpmbuild-4.3.so
prelink: /usr/lib/librpmdb-4.3.so: prelinked file was modified
S.?.....    /usr/lib/librpmdb-4.3.so
........    /usr/lib/librpmio-4.3.so

Anyone have an idea?

Alex