[CentOS] Is it possible to lvrename the current root partition?

Fri May 2 21:24:46 UTC 2008
Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com>

Alfred von Campe wrote:

> I'd like to rename my existing volume groups and logical volumes (I
> picked names a long time ago I no longer like :-).  I recently
> stumbled across the lvrename and vgrename commands, but when I tried
> the former to rename the logical volume that my root partition
> resides on, the system became unbootable.
>
> In addition to renaming the LV (and VG if I decide to to that as
> well), what else needs to be changed?  So far my list includes:
>
>    o /etc/fstabb
>    o /boot/grub/grub.conf
>    o /dev/<vgname>/<lvnamex>
>    o /dev/mapper/<vgname-lvnamex>
>
> I was hoping the lvrename and/or vgrename would take care of these
> details.  Are there any scripts out there that take care of all the
> details?  If not, I may write one (once I have the recipe to get this
> working, of course).

Sure you can do all this from rescue mode off the first CD.

Boot the cd type in 'linux rescue' and continue to the command prompt.

At the command prompt:

1) make sure swap isn't using the swap lv
	- swapoff -a

2) unmount all lvs mounted
	- umount /mnt/sysimage/boot
	- umount /mnt/sysimage

3) mark all lvs as unavailable
	- lvchange -a n <vgname>

4) rename the volume group
	- vgrename <oldvgname> <newvgname>

5) rename the logical volumes

6) repeat #5 as necessary

7) re-activate all the lvs
	- lvchange -a y <vgname>

8) re-mount the root and boot lvs,
	- mount /dev/<vgname>/<rootlv> /mnt/sysimage
	- mount /dev/<vgname>/<bootlv> /mnt/sysimage/boot

9) chroot to the mounts with, 'chroot /mnt/sysimage /bin/bash'

10) edit /etc/fstab

11) edit /boot/grub/grub.conf

That should do it.

-Ross