[CentOS] Watching Netflix movies on CentOS

Sun May 4 15:02:59 UTC 2008
Kevin Krieser <k_krieser at sbcglobal.net>

On May 4, 2008, at 9:23 AM, Matt Shields wrote:

> On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 6:31 AM, Kai Schaetzl
> <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:
>> Ralph Angenendt wrote on Sun, 4 May 2008 10:22:11 +0200:
>>

>>> In other words: They don't want your money. If I were you, I'd
>>> respect
>>> that. Make yourself heard over at Netflix, though.
>>
>> I remember about the Netflix format from before 2000. It's a very low
>> bandwidth format with really bad quality. AFAIK it was mainly porn
>> sites
>> using it. I thought it had died out since long.
>>
>> Kai
>>

> Netflix only started doing on demand movies about a year ago, and from
> what I remember when I had the service it wasn't all that bad.  It
> looked great on a laptop, and on my 720p 37" HDTV it looked better
> than normal tv, but not as good as an HD program.
>
> I agree with Ralph, complain to them, I know I did.  Unfortunately
> they probably don't think there are enough Linux users to justify
> providing service to us.  I'm just really surprised they haven't
> provided service to Mac users, the new Quicktime format actually has
> better compression rates than any of the WMV/WMA formats.

Apparently the problem with the Mac is the DRM again.  The studios are
apparently all worried that people will keep copies of the old TV
shows and movies downloaded.

I have an old Mac Mini that I would like to use to watch some Netflix
shows on (better than sitting in front of a computer, or watching it
on a small laptop), but until it is supported I can't.  The Mini is
hooked up to my TV directly.