Subject: [CentOS] "yum update" did not update kernel on one box

Mon May 5 03:12:00 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lannyma at gmail.com>

On 03 May 2008, Kai Schaetzl <maillists AT conactive.com> wrote:
>Message: 9
>Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 16:31:50 +0200

>Lanny Marcus wrote on Sat, 3 May 2008 07:28:10 -0500:
> Linux compaq1300.HOMELAN 2.6.18-8.el5

>Ok. I just asked because you never mentioned you had actually checked.
>Just a kernel missing when you update is not proof ;-)
>I see that you have priority protections in place. Disable all your
>extra repos, then disable the protections (basically go back to your
>inital repo setup) and then do a check-update. You are using the
>mirrorlist and not a specific CentOS mirror, do you?

Kai: Thank you.  I will do that, ASAP. Either *very* early some morning,
before my wife is using her box, or when she's not home. I am not using
a specific mirror. The other boxes also have priority working and yum
gives the message about 259 (?) packages are protected and the Kernel
updates on them were OK. However, as I am typing this, I suspect that I
updated the Kernels on the other 2 boxes, by checking that they be
updated in "PUP", with a couple of other packages, and not with the
blanket "yum update" as I did in her box, with the command line.

>BTW: I notice that your mail is missing any threading information, so
>that it doesn't thread at all. I see that other people who use Gmail do
>get the threading information, so there's probably some option not
>activated in your Gmail account.

Thank you for pointing that out. I do not believe that is a setting in
Gmail. When I signed up for the list (3 years ago), I selected the
Digest, because we had to go back to dial up, when we moved here. We
have ADSL now, so I just changed that, to get individual emails from the
list. That should begin Monday or Tuesday, and, hopefully, my messages
will look better, when I reply. Also, during the past few days, with the
DVD reader problem and this one, I have also done some reading of the ML
Archives on the CentOS web site and copied messages there that I replied
to, before I received them in the Digest the next morning. Hopefully,
when I begin receiving individual messages, when I reply to them, the
threading will not get screwed up, as it is now. Lanny