[CentOS] Slightly OT? - How do I set up Win98 to access aprinter on my CentOS box?

Mon May 5 07:41:36 UTC 2008
John <jses27 at gmail.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of Mark Hull-Richter
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2008 1:19 AM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: RE: [CentOS] Slightly OT? - How do I set up Win98 to access
aprinter on my CentOS box?

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 15:54 -0600, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >However, I also have a Win98 box on the LAN that I would like to be
> >able to print on the CentOS printer.  When I try to connect to the
> >printer, Win98 tells me that it can't find the network...?
> >
> >Any suggestions?
>
> Possibly name resolution issues on the Win98 box?

There was no hosts file - I edited the hosts.sam (sample) file and added
both machines to it.  But there must be more.

> Can you resolve a ping using the exact hostname you use for the
> printer

I can ping the CentOS host by IP address and, now that there's a hosts file,
by host name as well.  However, Win98 can't see the network at all
- claims there isn't one.  It is running the M$ client for M$ networks (and
for NetBIOS networks, as well), but the network is not getting properly
initialized.  And now we are definitely sliding OT here (is there a forum
where and answer to this can be found?).

> (I assume the CentOS box emulates a Lanman printer? Never printed on a
CentOS box...).

'fraid I don't know what that means - the printer is just available to be
shared via samba and so should be visible on a M$ network (like in the XP
guest?).

I'm going to be playing with the Windows box RSN - when I'm done with it, it
will have Win98, XP Pro and, of course, CentOS, but there's a fair amount of
work to be done before that will work.

mhr

Have you enabled netbios in the win98 machine?