[CentOS] httpd reverse proxy

Mon May 5 23:31:16 UTC 2008
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

Craig White wrote on Mon, 05 May 2008 14:57:05 -0700:

> <VirtualHost www.tobyhouse.com:*>

this is very old-fashioned and unreliable syntax, use this instead:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/name-based.html

>   RedirectPermanent / http://cms.tobyhouse.com

> It sent ALL traffic over to the other server which is clearly not what I
> want.

I don't understand. Isn't that exactly what you want, redirect all traffic
for www.tobyhouse.com to cms.tobyhouse.com?

> How can handle this? Must I give a unique ip address to
> www.tobyhouse.com?

Ah, you have several virtual hosts on it and all of them get redirected to
cms.tobyhouse.com? That's the result of the wrong virtual host syntax you
use. Use name-based virtual hosts and it will work.

Why don't you solve this at dns level? Wouldn't that be much "cleaner"?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany