[CentOS] I need storage server advice

Tue May 6 19:15:53 UTC 2008
Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu>

On Tue, 6 May 2008 at 12:11pm, Ed Morrison wrote

> Situation:
> My current storage needs are approximately 1.5 TB annually.  This will
> increase to about 3.5 TB annually over the next 5 years (rough est.).  This
> box will just be a data archive and once it is full it will only be used very
> infrequently if not used at all. Files are small up to 10 MB but numerous.
>
> CentOS:
> Upgrading to the newer CentOS flavors.  I will not have the ability to
> archive this data to tape and I am concerned about loosing the data when
> upgrading the OS.  How best to handle this?

You have to be careful, but it's quite easy to leave partitions (and thus
their data) alone when you are updating/reinstalling the OS.

> Storage limitation.  It is my understanding that there is a 2 TB storage
> limitation with Linux (and windows) in general particularly for stability.  I
> see that ReiserFS can go up to 16 TB.  Is any one using this?  If so, how has
> it been for you?

You cannot boot from a device larger than 2TiB, but that's the only
limitation at that size.  I run several multi-TB servers (including over
8TB) on CentOS-5 with no issues (using ext3).

You do not want to use ReiserFS.  It's not supported under CentOS, and
it's future is far less than certain (and I do not want to restart *that*
OT conversation).  ext3 is the default FS under CentOS and works pretty
well.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin