[CentOS] Re: Subject: "yum update" did not update kernel on one box

Tue May 6 22:41:01 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 5-6-2008 2:49 PM lannyma at gmail.com spake the
following:
> On 5/6/08, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos AT br-online.de> wrote:
>> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>>> If there is some place I can check in a yum database or RPM database on
>>> her box, to verify the kernel version that's really installed (probably
>>> the original one), please let me know where that is. Thanks much! Lanny
>> rpm -qa kernel*
>
> [lanny at compaq1300 ~]$ rpm -qa kernel*
> kernel-headers-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5
> kernel-2.6.18-8.el5
> kernel-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5
> [lanny at compaq1300 ~]$ uname -a
> Linux compaq1300.HOMELAN 2.6.18-8.el5 #1 SMP Thu Mar 15 19:57:35 EDT
> 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> [lanny at compaq1300 ~]$
>
> Ralph: Thank you for the rpm command and the syntax! That confirms
> what I have been seeing the past few days, that no updates are
> available! The kernel-headers for the latest kernel is there, along
> with the latest kernel. However, it is not shown in the GRUB menu when
> I boot the box, and, the box boots the old kernel. My knowledge of
> Linux, obviously, is very limited. How can I correct this, so the box
> will boot the latest kernel? TIA! Lanny
It sounds like the last kernel upgrade didn't finish the %post% scripts. The
easiest thing to try would be to rpm -e the new kernel and try a yum upgrade
again.
Another thing to check... Is there a symlink from /boot/grub/menu.lst to
/boot/grub/grub.conf?
I have had that on my systems since time began and maybe it is a requirement
for things to work right. Just a guess.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and