[CentOS] File Permissions or Partition Write/Read for everyone

Wed May 7 08:09:33 UTC 2008
Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri at cbn.net.id>

On Wednesday 07 May 2008 14:03:42 Victor Padro wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am kinda new to Linux, FreeBSD...most Windows user, anyway.
> I got a little problem here maybe you can help me solve it.
>
> I just bought a new 500Gb HDD which i formated using ext3 under Centos 5,
> my plan was to use it under FreeNAS as another Backup File Disk(It has
> already like 400gb of data), when I try to access the disk via samba/cifs I
> just have the read attribute or permission, how can i change the whole
> partition permission rights to be accessible to write/read for everyone? (I
> will mantain the security using samba users and groups of course.), or do I
> have to apply the chmod comand to the main folder?   I'm really stuck here.

Hi,
The correct term is mount point. Create a directory, and mount the partition
onto it.

The rw permission for everyone is chmod -R 777 /mountpoint
This, however, is a very bad practice. The proper one is to give permission to
the intended user/group only, and double enforce it with samba.
http://linux2.arinet.org
15:09:24 up 35 min, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.