[CentOS] disk partitioning - I'm missing something simple, I think

Fri May 9 19:46:33 UTC 2008
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 15:36 -0400, Ray Leventhal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Excuse the question as I'm sure those more experienced will find it simple.
>
> I've a CentOS5.1 box with six physical drives, two of which are used for
> nightly rsync
>  backups.  Contents of /etc/mtab, /etc/fstab, df and a brief narrative
> follow:

> # cat ./fstab
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> LABEL=/home/adminusers         /home/adminusers               ext3
> defaults        1 2
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
> proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> # cat ./mtab
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 / ext3 rw 0 0
> proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
> devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
> /dev/sdc1 /home ext3 rw 0 0
> /dev/sdd1 /home/adminusers ext3 rw 0 0
> /dev/sda1 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
> tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
> none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
> sunrpc /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs rpc_pipefs rw 0 0
> # df -h
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>                       131G  4.7G  120G   4% /
> /dev/sdc1             271G  147G  111G  58% /home
> /dev/sdd1             271G  3.9G  253G   2% /home/adminusers
> /dev/sda1              99M   20M   74M  22% /boot
> tmpfs                 442M     0  442M   0% /dev/shm
>
> Each night, in addition to our tape backup paradigm, an rsync script is
> run which mounts /dev/sdb1 on /mnt/sysinfo and copies system data from
> sda1 there.  /dev/sdb1 is a 146GB drive.  The script then mounts
> /dev/sde1 on /mnt/userdata for a copy of /home and /home/adminusers.
> /dev/sde1 is a wholly underutilized 300G drive.
>
> I'd like to move the contents of /home/adminusers from /dev/sdd1 to
> /dev/sdc1 and use that underutilized drive elsewhere.  What's the least
> invasive way of doing this given the hardware and partitioning on my system?
>
> Thanks in advance,
----
mkdir /home/adminusers-temp
cp -ar /home/adminusers /home/adminusers-temp
umount /home/adminusers
mv /home/adminusers-temp/* /home/adminusers
rm -fr /home/adminusers-temp

then edit /etc/fstab and comment out /dev/sdd1 line and all should be
good

Craig