[CentOS] Gnome-terminal's backslashes look like Ws with a horizontal line through -- how to get a backslash?

Sun May 11 05:05:12 UTC 2008
Nick Fenwick <neek at tcp.co.uk>

Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've just started trying gnome-terminal (instead of xterm) because of
> its "tabbing" facility.  However, I note that with it backslashes
> appear something like a W with a horizontal line through it.  Any
> known way to get a backslash to appear as a backslash?
>
> To see what I mean, use gnome-terminal with
>
>  echo '\'
Hi,

I'm no expert with these issues, but you can try comparing your settings
to mine.  I'm presuming it's a character encoding or font problem.

What does the Terminal->Set Character Encoding menu offer?  Mine just
has 'Current Locale UTF-8'.

What font is Terminal using?  Edit->Profiles->Default/Edit->General,
mine has 'Use the system terminal font' checked, and 'monospace|12' in
the greyed out font box.

What does the ascii code for the backslash you're typing come out to?

[neek at localhost ~]$ echo '\' | od -x
0000000 0a5c
0000002

'man ascii' shows you the normal backslash should be 5c.

Is your locale set up strangely?

[neek at localhost ~]$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"