[CentOS] Somewhat OT:

Tue May 13 12:59:18 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Sergio Belkin wrote:
> 2008/5/12 Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>:
>> Sergio Belkin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm looking for a monitoring system that support snmp v3. I want to
>>> monitorize linux servers and network switches. Currently, I am trying
>>> to use zabbix, but sadly, it lack at present features that I need. For
>>> example, I want to get reporting screens with data and graphs from
>>> network switches, I'd like to configure one only port of a given
>>> switch and that is used as templates for the rest of switch ports and
>>> the rest of the switches.
>>>

>>> I'd like to use some open source software that meet that features, and
>>> I want to avoid Nagios :)
>>>
>>> Could you recommend me someone?
>>>
>>  OpenNMS will do most of this automatically if the snmp setup is the same on
>> all the devices.  Http://www.opennms.org.  Installing from the yum repo that
>> includes Sun java is the easiest approach.
>>

> Thanks Les, OpenNMS sounds interesting, in order to monitor a network
> switch, should I write XML files by hand?

There are a few things you still have to edit by hand, but development
is very active and most of the configuration has been moved into the web
interface.  If your switches are common brands, the MIBs will already be
included, and if you set the snmp collector to store values for 'all'
interfaces it will build graphs for them automatically - or you can let
it detect nodes, then follow the admin link for the node and pick the
interfaces to collect.  If you don't like the default graphs or want to
add more, you might need to modify the xml files that describe them.
but to start out, just set the snmp defaults and a discovery range and
see what it does.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com