[CentOS] [OT]: Passing password for a command on the fly

Fri May 16 08:45:25 UTC 2008
Santi Saez <santi at hostalia.com>

El 16/05/2008, a las 10:38, Mário Gamito escribió:

> I have this command to create an FTP account:
>
> # pure-pw useradd mario -u 502 -g 502 -n 1000 -N 200 -d /home/pages/
> mario
>
> This command asks for the password twice.
>
> I need to pass the password (preferably without expect) so I can
> create the account without prompting.
>
> If i run:
>
> # echo secret | pure-pw useradd mario -u 502 -g 502 -n 1000 -N 200 -d
> /home/pages/gamito
>
> It reads the first insertion, but asks for the second.

Dear Mario,

I have the same problem some days ago, try with this:

( echo ${PASSWORD} ; echo ${PASSWORD} ) | pure-pw useradd ${USUARIO} -
u ftpuser -g ftpgroup -d /backup/${USUARIO} -N ${QUOTA} -m > /dev/
null 2>&1

 From the FAQ at:

http://pureftpd.sourceforge.net/FAQ

"* Passwords and pure-pw scripting."

-> I would like to create virtual users with a shell-script.  if i us
pure-pw useradd ..... it always asks for the new password. is there any
command-line option which tells pure-pw the password (like useradd
ftp-user
ftp-password -m) ? (at1ce) .

Giving cleartext (and badly one-way hashed) passwords through command-
line
switches is a bad idea. Because users could issue a simple 'ps'
command and
discover these passwords.

One way to enter a password (not from the keyboard) is to put the
password
twice in a temporary file, then redirect that file to stdin. Example:

pure-pw useradd john -d /tmp/john -u ftpuser -m < ~/tmp/passfile

And in ~/tmp/passfile, have something like:

john's password
john's password

If you really need to avoid a temporary file and if nobody but you
can log
on the machine, you can always do this:

(echo blahblah; echo blahblah) | pure-pw useradd john -d /tmp/john -u
ftpuser

Regards,

--
Santi Saez