[CentOS] OT: Top Posting

Fri May 16 09:41:40 UTC 2008
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 5:53 PM, Carol Anne Ogdin <caogdin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jumping in late here:  I sincerely wish that this list was maintained on any
>> of the quality "bulletin board" or "Forum" tools.  It would reduce my eMail
>> load, allow me to zoom in on just the issues of interest to me at the
>> moment, and I can eMail those posts to myself that are relevant to my own
>> needs for further editing and documentation.
>>
>> I find the entire USENET and eMail list thing utterly antediluvian, and
>> wicked hard to use.  Often, I can only barely remember that *maybe*
>> something relevant was discussed months ago, but is now relevant to my
>> current issue today.  A "forum" is more practical as a tool for building a
>> collective knowledge of the CentOS community.  This eMail list just doesn't
>> cut it for a "knowledge base" built up of our collective experience.
>>
>> Of course, for those of you who still prefer this medium, a "forum" can
>> eMail you posts, just like you see them today.  But people who would like to
>> search for a solution from a year or so ago could search the central
>> resource.
>>
>> --Carol Anne
>
> I think this post gives us a good message.  That is that, just like
> there are many people who hate the forums, there are many users who
> prefer the forums over the mailing lists.
>
>>From what I have been observing by participating in the BOTH worlds
> for the last year or so, the number of people who are being helped in
> the forums outgrows that of the mailing lists.  And if you do google
> searches, you tend to find forum posts more than mailing posts.  BUT,
> my intention is not to make a comparison -- they just have different
> audience.
>
> The point I want to make is that if you feel one method is not as
> well-served as the other, efforts should be made to make the other
> method equally good.  CentOS provides the two major venues, and we
> should be able to choose whichever the one we feel more comfortable
> without sacrificing the quality of help we get.  The "C" in CentOS is
> the driving force of the whole project.  We, community members, as a
> whole always need to think how best we can help others.
>
> My 2 cents worth,

I just want to point out that there are forums for CentOS, we have
several moderators and community members who answer questions there
every day and we can akways use more users there answering questions.

You can also search and read this list in several places that are
available in a threaded format ... like:

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.centos.general

You can also search the archives using google and the site feature:

in a google search box, do:

site:http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/ "Top Posting"

Regardless, forums, mailing lists and a wiki are all available for
CentOS users ... and each medium is driven by "CentOS Users" who
volunteer to participate for "CentOS Users" who are looking for help.
We offer all 3 because different users prefer different methods.

That is what open source is all about ... pick the method you like and
use it :D

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes