[CentOS] OT: Forums

Fri May 16 16:41:12 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 8:08 AM, Carol Anne Ogdin <caogdin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Les Mikesell questioned, "...who would go there to post any answers?"  The
>> answer is the same people who share here...and probably many more who find
>> this sparse medium harder to navigate.
>
> I, for one, would be unlikely to go there to post answers.  (Not that
> I'm a font of answers here, but see for example the zsh mailing
> lists).  All forum software that I've used (which clearly doesn't
> include all forum software that exists) amplifies two of the most
> significant problems with asynchronous group communications: (1)
> failing to start a new thread when one should be started, and (2)
> starting a new thread when one should not.  This happens on mailing
> lists too, of course, but at least with email I'm entirely in control
> of how I organize it, so I can re-group messages at will.  Using forum
> software I'm forced to accept whatever (dis)organization the
> moderators or originator of the message chose.
>
> (If someone knows of forum software that doesn't have this problem --
> that gives every user control over how his view of the postings is
> organized -- I'd be thrilled to hear about it.  But if you want to
> tell me on-list, start a new thread. :-)

There is software that can gateway between forum views and email lists
pretty much transparently but it doesn't fix any problems you might have
with either view of things - like making neat threads out of a
conversation that drifts over more than one topic.

Some samples here: http://www.backupcentral.com/phpBB2/

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com