[CentOS] clustered mail server?

Sat May 17 08:30:24 UTC 2008
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

Christopher Chan wrote:

>> I don't have a problem to solve, but I don't know which mail server
>> to use either. But, like I said, ideally I'd like to use one of the
>> groupware type mailserver (POP3, SMTP, IMAP, calendar, address book,
>> etc)
>>

> What you want is a centralised and yet distributed user information
> database whether mysql, postgresql, ldap and centralised but yet
> distributed mail storage. Just about any MTA that can be installed on
> Centos will support the first be it qmail, sendmail, postfix or exim.
> IMAP/POP3 wise, dovecot or courier-imap can also support the first.
> The second is best to hide from the application layer by implementing
> it at the file system level with say GFS. Address book can be plain
> old ldap. Calendar...sorry that is even more integrating. You might
> want to try JES (Java Enterprise System) besides the others that you
> have mentioned. Thunderbird has calendar support. Oh, happy
> integrating and interface buliding/modifying for this lot.
>
> If you are looking for a server solution for outlook, please just go
> and either get Exchange or go trouble the guys running OX and so on
> because Centos has zero solutions that support Outlook with all its
> features in force.

Thank you for your input. I can't justify exchange (and don't want MS)
for 10 users. I do want IMAP though, and the calendar & address book
would be nice. This IMO has nothing todo with CentOS though, but at the
same time it shouldn't be limited to which Linux distro I'm using. As
you have said I may need to look at file system clustering instead, but
have never attempted it, so I don't know where to begin even. I know a
lot of MTA's can support a central user DB, but that won't sync the
emails. And this won't be a commercial installation either, it's for a
for a project in a rural community about 700km's from me, so it's more a
matter of if 1 server dies / crashes / packes up, and I can only get to
it 5 days later, the mail server still works :)

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com