[CentOS] Re: Best Motherboard

Mon May 19 23:31:59 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 5-15-2008 5:13 PM Guy Boisvert spake the following:
> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Guy Boisvert
>> <boisvert.guy at videotron.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> The only downside is that sometimes, it takes time to get them.  It's
>>> like
>>> Tyan has problem producing enough for market demand.
>>>

>> Actually from my understanding its sort of the 'opposite'. Market
>> demand for white-box motherboards has gotten less over time as the
>> 'cost' of selling them has gone up versus buying a finished built
>> system from a VAR. So companies like Tyan etc make more money making
>> the boards indirectly for VARs than they do from selling their own
>> boards.
>>
>> Its sort of like the car engine companies of the 1900's. As time went
>> on they made smaller and smaller batches of specialized engines
>> because the companies they had sold them to either bought them up or
>> just had them make large batches of Ford/GM/etc engines exclusively.
>>

> Yeah, that's possible.  They could have big contracts with VARs.
>
> I saw some Dell workstations with special models of Asus mainboards,
> which are not supported by Asus!  You have to rely on the VARs for support.

That is one of the benefits of OEM integration. You can make it and sell it
for less because the OEM picks up the cost of support. The equipment is made
just "different" enough so there is no doubt it is an OEM product.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and