[CentOS] Can't get past the splash screen

Tue May 20 12:41:07 UTC 2008
Alex White <ethericalzen at gmail.com>

Eon Strife wrote:

>  Hi,
> I have a remote frontend (it's kept in the room which I don't have access) which is installed with CentOS 4 and Rocks . So, to use the desktop(Gnome) of the frontend I use the freenx + nomachine following the guide in http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?forum=20&topic_id=1640&viewmode=threaded. It worked. Then, I intended to add user, but I couldn't create the home folder in /home/ for the new user. After browsing, I found that somebody mentioned it's because of the automounter/autofs. So, I played around, enabled and disabled the autofs, and yes, I could create the home folder for the new user. The problem is that, when I tried to log-in to the front end using nomachine (using root) again, I could only get as far as the splash screen of the CentOS. I tried to connect using the putty (terminal), and I could interact (issuing command to the terminal), but I couldn't use the Gnome anymore. So, why in the nomachine I could not pass the splash
>  screen anymore ? Any solution ? Thanks.

Although I can not answer your question directly, did you see
anything logged on the system that you are connecting to via the
nomachine client?

Also, the Nomachine client provides some logging of its own as well.
You may want to check for any error or permissions related
information in the client's directory. That may point you in the
right direction.

Sincerely,

Alex White

ethericalzen at gmail.com