[CentOS] samba question

Thu May 22 15:39:26 UTC 2008
Guy Boisvert <boisvert.guy at videotron.ca>

david chong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running Centos5.1, trying to configure samba now. I am quite new
> in this area and hope help from the list.
>
> I could not connect to it from a windows xp pc
>>From the console, I log in and do a
>
>> smbclient -L localhost -U%
>
> Domain=[MYGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.25b-0.el5.4]
>
>         Sharename       Type      Comment
>         ---------       ----      -------
>         samba           Disk
>         IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.25b-0.el5.4)
> Domain=[MYGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.25b-0.el5.4]
>
>         Server               Comment
>         ---------            -------
>         ANTIOCH              Samba 3.0.25b-0.el5.4
>
>         Workgroup            Master
>         ---------            -------
>         MYGROUP              ANTIOCH
>
> Could you pls help.
> Thanks
>
> David

Hi David,

I recommend you this: http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/

This is IMHO an excellent guide made by the good folks at samba.org.

Very basically, you need to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and define your
shares there.  The default file is abundantly commented.

You can have your server validate the accesses using locally stored
samba/users accounts or even validate with a SMB/CIFS PDC (Winblows or
Samba).

Hope this helped a bit!

Guy Boisvert, ing.
IngTegration inc.