[CentOS] RAID5 or RAID50 for database?

Fri May 23 05:28:42 UTC 2008
Guy Boisvert <boisvert.guy at videotron.ca>

Linux wrote:

> And stick with md-raid 10 (also known as software raid) because it is
> much more intelligently designed than any
> closed-source-embedded-raid-controller.

"More intelligently designed" -> Could you please tell us more on this one?

> Nowadays hardware raid frightens me because of the need to have spare
> raid-controllers for every hardware-raid-configuration I have. They
> are neither interchangable nor easily recoverable.
>
> md-raid 10 can be established with any number of disks (at least 3 but
> better check with google)

Not easily recoverable?  I did recovery many time without a hitch
(Adaptec, 3Ware, LSI, PERC)!

As for RAID 10 with 3 disks, mmm... go see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_independent_disks

Lastly, it's kinda strange that your name is "Linux": Maybe you're young
and your parents decided to honor this great OS!  Well, i may name my
next children "Cento" !!! ;-)

Hey, have a nice day "Linuxito" !

Guy Boisvert, ing.
IngTegration inc.