[CentOS] Hourly restart

Sun May 25 23:57:06 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 18:33 -0400, Gregg McClintic wrote:
> To be honest I have no idea what is needed by the kernel for the bios to beable to check that the os is responding correctly. I enabled it on a test server and had the same issue on a default 4.6 cent install. I could have the name in the bios (the service ) incorrect ie, watch guard,watch dog , watch "something" I know it is psent on serval types of motherboad manufactures. Take a look should be  easy to find

I don't know if this generally applies, but my last contract w/IBM, we
had a custom BIOS with a hardware watchdog. Certain bits needed to be
reset before the hardware countdown completed. If not, reboot began with
the boot device automatically set to the CD. If that failed, it did it
with floppy.

We were strong on RAS for the project, a NAS product.

Needless to say, I can't recall if any kernel changes were made to
support it or not (2.4 kernels).

If your BIOS has anything like that setup, you'll probably need to
disable the feature until you can find out what needs to be done. Then
that will need to be in a very early init script, IIRC. I do remember
that part of it.

Hmmm, ISTR that we had a device driver that gave us access, root
privileges only.

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--