[CentOS] Re: memorial day kernel panic

Tue May 27 21:36:33 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 14:24 -0400, sbeam wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 May 2008 13:16, Miguel Medalha wrote:
> > Some Tyan boards are known as being very picky with RAM. If you want to
> > avoid problems, you should really stick to the types listed in Tyan's
> > memory compatibility list.
>
> hmm. well the spec sheet just says "unbuffered DDR 266/200" and that is what
> we got. I never noticed there was a list of "recommended" memory, but your
> comment made me look and I found one. PQI is not on the list :(
>
> But... we had a similar system with the same mobo and ram stick - only one
> 512M, not 2x1G like these - that was running for years with nary a hiccup
> until the disks died. The one we are having problems with was its
> upgrade/replacement. Maybe this is a problem though.

I recently had a problem upgrading to 2x1GB PC3200 (> DDR 400) in one of
my home units. Ultimate solution: tweaked the DRAM voltage to 2.7 volts.
Took a long time because I didn't want to fry the DIMMS and there were
no specs anywhere that specified the voltage.

But, my *deduced* solution is that the greater capacity at max frequency
needed higher voltage to drive the increased speed/capacity (was PC2700
@ 1GB).

Might work for you.

And of course, YMMV, you keep the pieces, etc.

> thanks
> Sam
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH