[CentOS] How to move my MBR

Tue May 27 22:17:31 UTC 2008
Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net>

Scott Moseman wrote:
> I copied over the MBR from hdc to sda.  I found a 4.4 LiveCD, but
> apparently its damaged so it wouldn't boot.  I attempted to put
> everything back and when I rebooted it went into a GRUB screen instead
> of a normal boot.  I had no idea how to get it to boot from there, so
> instead of taking the time to figure it out, I decided it was time to
> make the plunge to CentOS 5.  So I'm now on CentOS 5 and my old /home
> hard drive is completely history.  :)

You likely overwrote your PT. See my other post. If you can recover
your PT, you'll likely get your data back.

Before fiddling like this always

(1) make a complete backup of your system
(2) display and archive your PTs using fdisk or similar
(3) make complete copies of your MBRs on each disc, and BRs for each
partition.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.