[CentOS] centos 5.1 i386 on a 1GIG flash

Wed May 28 22:03:43 UTC 2008
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Jerry Geis wrote:
> I have found this link http://owlriver.com/tips/tiny-centos
> for installing centos on a minimal system. I am looking at putting
> centos on a 1 GIG flash drive. The above page talks about removing
> packages
> after install to attain the small size.
>
> however, I am getting blocked at the install page about not enough
> room to install.
> All I have selected is the base package. nothing else.
>
> Is there a way to install "less thank" base... I tried to option off
> items in the base package
> but the last message I got was about 1044 was my packages size...
>
> Anyone have suggestions or have tried to install on a small device.
> THanks,

uClinux, busybox, and use a combination of flashfs (r/o, highly
compressed) and jffs2 (r/w) and you'll have most of that 1GB flash
available for applications  (I've run a system based on this mix on
hardware with 16MB ram and 8MB flash and had freespace).   yes, you'll
be rolling your own going this way.