[CentOS] Low-memory Centos5?

Thu May 29 13:37:31 UTC 2008
Wojtek Pilorz <wpilorz at bdk.pl>

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 02:12:38PM +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:
> >Good morning,
> >
> >I've inherited an old laptop from my wife that I'd like to
> >use when I travel (it's fairly small with a 12" screen). The
> >bad part is that it is maxed out on memory with 384MB.
> >Has anyone played with using Centos5 on systems with
> >little memory? Ideally, I don't need too much - Firefox,
[...]
> >Jeff
> >

> As others have said, you should be fine with 384MB RAM. One thing to
> note - I think the graphical installer requires 512MB to run (check the
> release notes) so you would need to perform a text mode install. Do a
> fairly minimal install and add whatever you want afterwards with YUM.
If no additional repositories are selected during installation,
384MB should be OK with graphical.
If you want to be sure, run it over vnc
(needs specifying vnc vncpassword=a_password when starting installer)
(and keep in mind vnc is unencrypted protocol;

Graphical installer tends to be more complete than text in later RedHat systems.

BTW. I am using CentOS 4.6 with KDE on P4 with 128MB RAM.
 Perhaps not stellar performance, but quite usable.
(And I do not run OpenOffice and firefox at the same time...)

Good luck,

Wojtek.