[CentOS] Low-memory Centos5?

Thu May 29 18:00:22 UTC 2008
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 4:31 AM, Jeffrey B. Layton <laytonjb at charter.net> wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I've inherited an old laptop from my wife that I'd like to
> use when I travel (it's fairly small with a 12" screen). The
> bad part is that it is maxed out on memory with 384MB.
> Has anyone played with using Centos5 on systems with
> little memory? Ideally, I don't need too much - Firefox,
> Openoffice, a little Perl/Python/C here and there. I was
> thinking about using either XFCE or Icewm as the window
> manager. I'd also like it to work with the existing wireless
> card (Dlink DWL-G650). Any thoughts or recommendations?

I have an old Toshiba Tecra laptop with a P3 running 600MHz and 256MB
of memory.  I installed CentOS 5.1 with the graphical installer, and
it runs GNOME fairly well.  It's slow (compared to my main desktop,
but that's an AMD 64x2 4200+ with 4GB of memory), but I expect that
with an older, slower CPU like this (as opposed to a molasses crawl
/old/ CPU :-).  I use OOo 2.4 on it, and that is also slow, but it
runs, and I always use the command line interface whenever I can, but
that's 'cuz I'm more comfortable there, and it works nicely all
around.

YMMV

mhr