[CentOS] No module named snack

Fri May 2 00:50:18 UTC 2008
Matt Morgan <minxmertzmomo at gmail.com>

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Matt Hyclak <hyclak at math.ohiou.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:59:46PM -0400, Matt Morgan enlightened us:
> > everyone--I'm back on the list after some time not managing any Centos
> > machines. It's good to be back.
> >
> > I'm trying to switch a server from sendmail to postfix. It's Centos 4.6.
> > installed postfix and system-switch-mail. When I run system-switch-mail,
> > get
> >
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "/usr/sbin/system-switch-mail", line 89, in <module>
> >     main()
> >   File "/usr/sbin/system-switch-mail", line 76, in main
> >     from switchmail_tui import mainDialog
> >   File "/usr/share/system-switch-mail/switchmail_tui.py", line 36, in
> > <module>
> >     from snack import *
> > ImportError: No module named snack
> >
> > "Snack" appears to be a python module provided by a package called newt,
> > which is installed:
> >
> > # rpm -qf /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/snack.py
> > newt-0.51.6-9.rhel4
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
> >

> Not using python 2.3 perhaps?

Good call, looks like python is 2.5 (although the typical 2.3 package is
installed). Probably, someone else using this machine needed 2.5 at some
point.

Let's say we still have a good reason to need python 2.5. Is this going to
break a lot of the system-whatever commands? Are there any workarounds?

Thanks again,
Matt