[CentOS] Question re RHEL 5.3

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Sat Nov 1 13:31:34 UTC 2008

Mhr wrote on Wed, 29 Oct 2008 17:59:40 -0700:

> The one problem I've seen and posted here was w.r.t. smartd error
> reports showing 2^32 - 1 errors on one of the disks (probably my
> system disk) every few minutes.

How has this anything to do with "SATA problems/drive handling"? And could
you please use a decent subject next time?

Regarding your problem: Have you done a smartctl selftest since then, did
you go to smartmontools.sf.net since then and read up on smartmon?
This may just be a problem with smartd not being able to handle the error
codes/number of errors from that disk. If you look at smartmontools.sf.net
and read the man you'll see that vendors are quite inconsistent in what
and how they report and a reversal of byte ordering every now and then
seems to be common. Not to mention that ther smartmon shipping with CentOS
naturally doesn't include the latest code.

Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany