[CentOS] Closing a multi-session disk

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 4 18:20:26 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 04 November 2008 16:54:30 William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 16:27 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I have a disk which is not being recognised for reading, and I suspect
> > that it may be a multi-session disk which has not been closed.  K3b seems
> > to agree with me, since it lists it as an appendable data cd.  However, I
> > can't find any way to close the session in k3b.
> >
> > I thought I remembered that it was possible to do that in xcdroast -
> > which is almost certainly the application that burned the disk in the
> > first place. However, xcdroast tells me that no disk is loaded.
> >
> > That brings me to ask those of you that use command-line burning if you
> > know of any way I can close this disk.  I suspect the files on it are
> > ones that I don't have elsewhere.
>
> I haven't used roast, but in cdrecord, IIRC the multi sessions must be
> "fixed" to close the possibility of adding more sessions. Is there an
> exquivalent in roast maybe?
>
> > Anne
> > <snip sig stuff>
>
> HTH

When you make a burn you can choose to close it or not, but I can't find any
way to do it after the event.  And since it looks as though the disk is not
being recognised I can't simply add a few files to get closure.

I'm beginning to wonder whether the disk is actually a year older than I first
thought, in which case it would have been burned in Nero.  Maybe multi-session
is not or was not defined enough to be used cross-distro.  Then again, you
can't read an un-closed DVD from one drive on another one, so it may be that I
just have to throw the disk out and hope that I had copies somewhere else of
whatever was on it.

One thing, though.  It has prompted me to go through all my old backup disks
and make sure that nothing important exists in only one copy. :-)

Anne