[CentOS] CentOS 5.2 and Bacula

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 19:18:11 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 12:13, Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> wrote:
>> IMHO, if you still use tapes, forget the past and move to the future of
>> disk-based backups, and adopt Backuppc as your tool.
>
> There are trade-offs here. Tapes are generally regarded as having a longer
> shelf life than disks, and they're less susceptible to physical damage
> during transport -- both important if off-site backups are part of your
> strategy.

Yes, tape for offsite copies are fine, but these days I don't see any
reason why to back up directly to tape instead of staging to disk
first.

If you do backups to disk with BackupPC, you can use "dump" to
efficiently create an image of that filesystem to tape, and then send
that tape offsite.

Or, as another poster already mentioned, you can do your offsite
through the network by using a remote BackupPC server or using rsync
to keep a copy of your local backups on a remote machine.

Filipe