[CentOS] HA Storage Cookbook?

Gordon McLellan gordonthree at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 18:10:07 UTC 2008

Reading the datasheet, my interpretation is Seagate has taken a ide
drive chassis (7200rpm, PMR, slow seek times, etc) and added a SAS
interface board.  They mention the sas version offers improved
performance over the sata version, and also the sas version supports a
dual-port interface.  Other more expensive SAS drives take a scsi
drive chassis (10-15krpm, GMR, fast seek times) and add the SAS
interface board.

I guess I'm saying, if you interpret the name "Serial Attached Scsi"
literally, then the Seagate ES.2 is not an SAS drive - it is not a
scsi drive with a serial interface.  However, if you interpret SAS as
an interface standard, then the interface board determines what the
drive is, more so than its mechanical construction.