[CentOS] How Auto Start Greeter on Ctrl-Alt-F8?

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Fri Nov 7 21:52:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 13:30 -0800, John Thomas wrote:
> Ctrl-Alt-F7 automatically starts with a gdm greeter.  I would like
> Ctrl-Alt-F8 to be the same, but I cannot figure it out.  Would you offer
> some tips?
> The purpose is to allow others to simply switch over and log into a
> machine without bothering the current X session and/or leaving me logged
> in the F8 so X is running and waiting for me.

Do you mean you want to have another X session started and waiting for
another login by another user ID?

You want it on boot or just under some circumstances? I have this in my
root user bin and run it when I want. This is on my CentOS 4.7. If you
are on 5.x, it will be a little different.

# cat bin/XAgain
xdm -server ":1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1"

I haven't run it for a _long_ time. If things changed since then, the
above may not be exactly right now.

BTW, more initial information on your setup might save some time and
additional postings.