[CentOS] windows auth in linux world

Fabian Arrotin fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Sat Nov 8 12:04:07 UTC 2008

Christopher Chan wrote:
> RobertH wrote:
>> it is not my expertise so i need to get some direction please so i can
>> google better on this one.
>>
>> looks like to many choices and i am sure some are time wasters.
>>
>> for those of you that have done it, what is your recommendation on the
>> absolute easiest / fastest implementation to get a centos file (space)
>> server to auth from a windows domain controller?
>
> Others have already told you what software to use and hinted at how to
> do it...I have a question. Are you going to have more than one centos
> based file servers? If you are, you may want to also use ldap as the
> backend rid store for winbind to keep the uid mappings consistent across
> all centos boxes.

Just my two cents (again) : you don't need a ldap based backed to have a
consistent uid mappings accross all samba servers : just use the
idmap_rid function in smb.conf to be sure that uid mappings are not
served on a 'first use, first served' but by using the rid part of the
windows SID an all samba servers .
More informations on
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/11/12/tips-and-tricks-how-can-i-configure-winbind-to-synchronize-user-and-group-ids-across-multiple-red-hat-enterprise-linux-hosts-on-active-directory-accounts/

--