[CentOS] Rlocate on Centos 5

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Nov 11 09:27:32 UTC 2008

Test wrote:
> All,
>
> I would like to run Rlocate on centos 5, but i would have to recompile
> the kernel, which, when reading some posts about custom kernels on
> centos, is not recommended...
>
> Is there another way to get rlocate to work on the stock kernel ?
>
> http://rlocate.sourceforge.net/#kernel_configuration

WAIT.   that says rlocate is a kernel MODULE.  you don' need to
recompile the whole kernel to build a module, you just need the
kernel-devel RPM and build just the module.

this is similar to building a driver.

except.....

    Before you start, check that you have Linux kernel version 2.6, and
    ``Enable different security models'' is set to yes.

    At the moment the stacking with other security modules is not
    implemented, so it is not possible to load other security modules
with rlocate.

    The ``Default Linux Capabilities'' must be either disabled or set to
'M'
    in your kernel configuration in ``Security options'' section.
Capability
    module cannot be loaded at the same time as rlocate. Disable also
    NSA SELinux.

by the time you do all the stuff I'm reading there.... you won't be
running CentOS.     maybe yoiu'd be happier with a roll-your-own
distribution like gentoo if this is what you really want.   that module
sounds pretty sketchy to me.