[CentOS] Re: Virtual NICs (aliases like eth0:1) won't come up after reboot

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 16:17:59 UTC 2008

In article <491C43D5.8010002 at cyberwizzard.nl>,
Berend Dekens <berend at cyberwizzard.ath.cx> wrote:
> Tony Mountifield wrote:
> > Could you post the output of: head -20 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0*
> >
> > Cheers
> > Tony
> >
> [root at hagrid network-scripts]# head -20
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0*
> # Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE]
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=none
> BROADCAST=87.233.3.255
> HWADDR=00:0C:29:26:D9:E6
> IPADDR=87.233.3.247
> NETMASK=255.255.255.240
> NETWORK=87.233.3.240
> ONBOOT=yes
> GATEWAY=87.233.3.241
> TYPE=Ethernet
> USERCTL=no
> IPV6INIT=no
> PEERDNS=yes
>
> And for good measure the dump of our 2nd aliased NIC:
> # Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
> # for the documentation of these parameters.
> GATEWAY=87.233.68.193
> TYPE=Ethernet
> DEVICE=eth0:2
> BOOTPROTO=none
> NETMASK=255.255.255.224
> IPADDR=87.233.68.195
> USERCTL=no
> IPV6INIT=no
> PEERDNS=yes
> ONPARENT=yes
>
> Note that I removed the previously added ONBOOT param as I stated before
> because according to the docs it was not allowed (and it didn't made any
> difference).

Hmmm, in a previous post you said you had multiple aliases and three errors.
But above, you have only posted one main device and one alias. Are they ones
that succeed of fail?

The reason I said to use "head -20" and "ifcfg-eth0*" was that if you used
that command literally, it would (a) output ALL eth0 aliases, and (b) prepend
each one automatically with a filename header, assuming there is more than
one file.

It's difficult to suggest what the problem might be unless you list EVERY
interface and alias, showing at least the IP and netmask information for
each one. Otherwise we are just guessing.

When you get a moment, please read right through the following page:

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield