[CentOS] Re: Linux backup help

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 12:54:20 UTC 2008

2008/11/15 Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com>:

[ long rant in favor of keeping the entire yum cache instead of a list
of package versions deleted ]

>> move around entire cache backups across continents.
>
> Continents??  What, now we're worried about protecting against total
> continental destruction?  Maybe you're thinking you'll need those backups to
> help reboot civilization on another continent?
>
> Sheesh, talk about overengineering...  I would have thought that sending
> backups to another time zone would be more than sufficient.

My production and test/staging servers are over 12,000 km (or 7700
miles) away from my office. I need to be able to move configurations
around between my office and two separate hosted sites. Also I have
around 10 different system configuration prototypes ("roles") with
more expected to be added - so every such "cache" is multiplied by
that number. I pay for the traffic and we easily hit our traffic quota
during a busy month of tests and updates, not to mention the huge drag
on time to copy things around back and forth.

On top of that - the cache is not reliable - it would contain deleted
packages, packages installed manually individually on one system for
testing, packages which were replaced by newer ones etc. It can be
cleaned (accidentally or when it runs out of space) etc.

Your solution of "it's cheap so waste it" is not just wasteful but not
sustainable as our operation will grow (or possibly even at its
current size).

Thanks for the advise, but the more I think about this solution the
more I'm convinced it's not going to help me.

I'll try to try to find or build something based on "rpm -qa" and "yum".

Cheers,

--Amos