[CentOS] can CentOS act as an iSCSI server?

Fabian Arrotin fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Sun Nov 16 16:13:22 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Fabian Arrotin
> <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net> wrote:
>> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>><snip>
>
> Hi Fabian,
>
> Do you have any documentation for me on this? I don't know iSCSI at
> all - well I haven't used it before myself, but from what I understand
> it's much better than NFS.

Consider then reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iscsi your homework
.. ;-)
Don't try to compare NFS and iScsi : they aren't working at the same
level : iScsi works at the 'block level' while other Network File
Systems (like NFS, CIFS, etc ...) work more at the 'file level' . So
they are serving different needs. While multiple hosts can access
directly a NFS exported fs, iscsi share a block device (target) to an
initiator host (or multiple hosts). Except if you're using a cluster FS
like GFS, you can't access the same lun from multiple initiators at the
same time

> What is FC HBA's ?

Fiber Channel Host Bus Adapters ;-)

--